Thursday, December 18, 2008

Better File Rename

This is just a random tool recommendation - I've been meaning to post it for months, but have never made the time. Well, a meeting just finished early, so the time made itself.

I've love this tool: Better File Rename

It's a Windows shell extension that gives you a ton (maybe more) of batch file renaming options. Right-click on a folder or a group of files and you can:

  • Add characters to the beginning of a file
  • Change the file extension
  • Add sequence numbers to the file name
  • Add date/time stamps to the file name
  • Replace characters or string patterns in the file name
  • A staggering number of other possibilities

I've been using this delightful little tool since 2002, and it works great on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and I assume Windows Server 2008 as well, although I've never personally tested it. If I ever rebuild my primary laptop to run Server 2008 then I'll know, because this app is one of the few 3rd party "must have" utilities that I install whenever I rebuild my main machine.

Ok, that's that. Check it out - download a trial version and see if it rocks your world too. Especially with all of the Christmas photos you'll soon be taking, you know you want it...

No comments: