Thursday, June 19, 2008

New SSIS Project Templates in RC0

I've finally found the time to install SQL Server 2008 RC0 (although my SSIS/BIDS install is corrupted so I have not been able to run SSIS in RC0 through its paces) and noticed something interesting. I was creating a new C# project and noticed this:

NewProjectTemplates

Do you notice the two new project templates in the tree view on the left? That's right - Microsoft has added new class library (DLL) templates for creating custom Control Flow tasks and Data Flow components in C# and VB.NET. It's pretty unlikely that SSIS component development will ever approach the ease of use of the Script Task and Script Component, but having a Visual Studio project template that sets up much of the component plumbing is a nice step forward.

UPDATE: Upon further reflection (and a very helpful email) it turns out that these project templates are not designed for SSIS component developers. They are instead (as the project names should have clued me in, were I not so excited over my discovery) the templates that are used by Visual Studio Tools for Applications (VSTA) in the Script Task and Script Component inside a package. When you add a new Script Task or Script Component to your package, VSTA creates a new instance of one of these templates.

4 comments:

JamieT said...

woah. excellent stuff. Should be a big help.

Matthew Roche said...

(Huge sign of relief)

As soon as I saw a comment on this I expected it to be one of those "You didn't know about this?" questions I've been getting lately. ;-)

Matt Masson said...

These are actually the project templates for the Script Task and Script Component used by VSTA.

Sorry to get hopes up!

But you know, it wouldn't be such a hard thing for an industrious MVP to put together ...

Matthew Roche said...

You're probably right, but I don't know any of those...