Wednesday, June 11, 2008

SSIS, SQL Server Agent and WMI

I need to hang out with Donald Farmer more often. He knows more about SSIS than I will ever forget - or something like that.

Earlier today I co-presented another interactive theater session (largely a repeat of the session we did last week during the developer conference, but with some new content and a different vibe) with Donald and (as before) I learned a few things about using SSIS that I had never seen before. One of them has to do with one of the most popular[1] SSIS topics: SSIS and SQL Server Agent.

This lesson doesn't actually have much to do with SSIS - it has to do with how you trigger the execution of a SQL Server Agent Job. Normally SQL Server Agent Jobs are executed on a schedule, so that the same packages run at the same time every day. To be honest, this is the only way I have ever used SQL Server Agent. But (as I learned today) you can also configure your SQL Server Agent Jobs to be triggered by Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) events as well.

What does this mean?

It means that any events that are raised by the operating system (or other software that uses WMI) can be used to trigger the execution of your job and your packages. Think about having packages that automatically run when your processor utilization drops below a specific threshold as an example. The possibilities are endless[2] and the setup is documented in SQL Server Books Online here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366332.aspx

Enjoy!

 

[1] At least if the web traffic reports for my blog are to be believed.

[2] This is a nice way of saying that I don't know enough about WMI to come up with more examples without making a fool of myself.

No comments: