Thursday, May 10, 2007

Katmai == BI++ ?

Microsoft positioned SQL Server 2005 as the "BI release" of its flagship SQL Server database product. It's not hard to see that this release saw the biggest leap forward in Business Intelligence features, with SSIS, SSAS and SSRS, along with usability, scalability and feature improvements in the core RDBMS. How can they top this?

I have a feeling we're about to see how. ;-)

At this week's first-ever Microsoft Business Intelligence Conference this week in Seattle, Microsoft has started to unveil some of its plans for the next release of SQL Server, codenamed "Katmai." Sadly, my travel schedule could not permit me to be there this week, but that does not prevent me from keeping an eye on the news coming out of the conference. There's not yet a lot of "hard" information coming out, but Microsoft has started launching press releases with "BI" and "Katmai" prominently featured. Take a look at the conference link above - there is a keynote video from Jeff Raikes (President, Microsoft Business Division) as well as podcasts from Product and Program Managers and key BI partners. Hopefully there will be more coming soon...

...and I cannot wait until I get my hands on that Katmai CTP that everyone is hinting at...

No comments: